Welcome to my blog!

My blog is personal. It's real. It's about me. It's about life's struggles. It's about amazing grace. Relentless hope. Second Chances. True Recovery. It's my journey. Thanks for joining me!

10.18.2008

Suitcase of Songs

it's worth repeating that God wants us to sing a new song...

Songs carry baggage... have you ever been scanning through the radio and you heard a song that brought back such vivid memories it was almost as if you were back in that moment in time. i've heard songs that have instantly changed my demeanor based on what they remind me of...

in the church, songs carry baggage, too. there are songs that are many years old that people still love to hear because it was the first song they sang after they were saved, or the song that was played the day of their baptism... sometimes, though, a song will trigger memories of a bad pastoral situation, or a hard time in the church... or if you are like my husband, you often change old songs into new songs and then no one else can ever sing them again without laughing... (there is none like me....)

God wants us to sing, write, produce, create new songs... songs for today, songs with new words.. God wants to give you a song to sing for when you are facing a trial and have nothing left but your song... God wants to move you to a new level, which sometimes means there will be new songs that go with that level...

As a worship pastor, I see all the time how people react to different songs... one person can love a song while the person next to them is not so thrilled with it... i heard that after you sing the same song 30 different times that it begins to lose it's original powerful meaning, and it just becomes a wordless melody. this has happened to me even in church, if the same song is sung over and over and over... i don't realize what the words are saying anymore, i am just singing along.

i love to listen to my kids sing some of the older songs i used to sing...it has total new meaning to them... and they make it fresh again...

We need new songs... We need fresh worship...

Is God giving you a song?? By all means, share it with the world...

Blessings!

No comments: