Welcome to my blog!

My blog is personal. It's real. It's about me. It's about life's struggles. It's about amazing grace. Relentless hope. Second Chances. True Recovery. It's my journey. Thanks for joining me!

9.20.2011

An Unquenchable Love

Matt Redman, one of my favorite worship leaders/songwriters, and author of The Unquenchable Worshiper, states, "Situations change for better and for worse, but God's worth never changes."

Life is full of "situations".  The phone calls that make my heart race are the ones that start with the words, "There is a situation".  Immediately, I wonder what's wrong.  What happened?  Is everything going to be okay? 

Whenever I hear the sirens of a fire truck or ambulance, I immediately pray and hope for the best in what could be a horrible situation.

There have been many "situations" in my own life that seemed dire and hopeless.  My first run-in with clinical depression and agoraphobia.  Panic attacks.  Marital infidelity.  A pregnancy that was life-threatening. 

All of these "situations" put me in a place of decision.  Will I allow my love and trust for my Father (God) to be quenched, or will I throw myself completely into His grace and tender love for me?

"Situations" can cause us to grow bitter toward God.  We all know people who are angry at God.  Really angry.  Most would claim to be atheists and say they don't believe God even really exists.  I tend to view these folks as angry theists.  They know there's a God and they are bitter toward Him.  He didn't intervene in time.  He didn't respond the way they thought He should.  He seemed absent when they needed Him most.

Maybe you're there... maybe you are angry at God.  God can handle your questions about why "situations" had to happen, but He can't allow you to love Him if you won't let Him.  He will let you have your anger, even though He wants so desperately to show you His love.

Our "situations" can drive us to God or drive us away from Him.  I have chosen, though not always an easy choice, to allow my love for God to not be quenched in those times of despair.  God's worth to me, His love for me, His tender care toward me have caused me to persevere through tough times.  He becomes more valuable to me than any family member, friend, possession, or coping mechanism when I feel hopeless.

I want to have a love for God that "always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres" (I Corinthians 13:7)

I choose to worship Him in the darkest situations.  And I pray that you will choose the same...

Blessings! 

No comments: