Welcome to my blog!

My blog is personal. It's real. It's about me. It's about life's struggles. It's about amazing grace. Relentless hope. Second Chances. True Recovery. It's my journey. Thanks for joining me!

9.28.2011

The Art of Receiving

Many of us have heard the biblical truth, "It is better to give than to receive."  I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

However, some take this to the extreme by giving, giving, and giving some more until they have nothing left.  They become empty.  Dry.  Critical.  Cynical.  Depressed.  Resentful.  Bitter.  Exhausted.

I have a tendency to be a "yes" person even if what I am saying yes to is not in my best interest or the interest of my family.  I tend to just "make it work".  After all, I don't want to disappoint anyone or let anyone down.  God has asked us to serve, to give, to deny ourselves.  Right?

But then I look at Jesus.  He had to take time away from the crowds to recharge, to refresh, to listen and receive from His Father.  I think of when Jesus says, "Come to me, and I will give you rest."

Yes, it is better to give than to receive, but if we never receive, we will have nothing to give.  Honestly, I am not the best receiver.  It's awkward for me to receive compliments, praise, gifts, and even love.  I am not good at it.  And yet, deep down, I want those things.  Especially love.

When you are a doer, it is easy to forget to just BE God's child and let him pour His love into you.  After all, there are too many things to do, too many people that need us, for us to take time to just sit and allow God's peace to rush our souls.

Yes, there is a lot to be said for the art of giving...but that's for another day.  Today, take some time and stop, listen, breathe deep, remember whose you are, and let Your Father pour into you... Today, learn the art of receiving...

Blessings!

No comments: