Welcome to my blog!

My blog is personal. It's real. It's about me. It's about life's struggles. It's about amazing grace. Relentless hope. Second Chances. True Recovery. It's my journey. Thanks for joining me!

6.20.2012

More Than a Cheesy Saying

We used to say in our 12-step group that the program only works if you work it, so keep on working it because you're worth it!

At first, I just thought it was a really cheesy saying. But I said it just like everyone else. Then something happened. I started to believe it.

I started to believe that it was no one else's responsibility to make me well. It was my responsibility to work on my recovery. And recovery is hard work. It's introspection to the nth degree. It's open and raw vulnerability. It's painful digging up hurts, uprooting old habits, repairing damaged relationships.

But recovery programs only work if you work the program.

And you will only work the program if you believe you are worth recovering.

Blaming other people for where you are in life will keep you from recovering.

Shaming yourself because of what you've done will keep you from recovering.

First, you have to believe that YOU need recovery.

Yes..you! We can easily pinpoint all the people in our lives that NEED help.  And usually it's everyone but us. If the people around us would get it together than life would be better. The quality of your life doesn't have to depend on the people around you. You can become healthy and whole when you take ownership for your own issues and start the recovery process.

Second, you have to believe you are worth recovery.

And you are. I believe you are. God created you and has a plan for you. He believes you are worth recovery. Take a minute and think about what the "recovered you" would like.  Then know that God wants you to get there. Can you envision yourself actually liking yourself?

Don't wait... You are worth it!  Reach out for help. Take initiative for your own recovery. You are not alone.

Blessings!


2 comments:

BLAZER PROPHET said...

I took some time and read your entire blog. It was very frank and inspirational. I greatly enjoyed it.

Amanda Valantine said...

Thanks!! Sorry I didn't see your comment until now. I plan to update this blog more often. I hope you will keep reading. Blessings!