Welcome to my blog!

My blog is personal. It's real. It's about me. It's about life's struggles. It's about amazing grace. Relentless hope. Second Chances. True Recovery. It's my journey. Thanks for joining me!

6.14.2012

The Most Important RSVP

I read a quote today that reminded me of me.  Mark Batterson, in his book, The Circle Maker, says, "If you are not praying TO God, then you are PLAYING God."

I find myself trying to "play" God often.  I try to figure something out on my own. I try to rescue someone out of their circumstances. I focus on self-help rather than Spirit-help.

Maybe you find yourself in the same boat. Prayer is reserved for when I REALLY, REALLY need help -- when I've gotten myself in a royal mess, and can't see the way out. When I don't have any energy left. When my reserves are depleted. When I remember that He was there waiting for me to call out to Him all the time...

I am so thankful that God is a God of amazing grace! He doesn't say "I told you so"!  He listens and replies and I listen and reply, and life is back to normal again.

Why is it that when I have tasted the sweetness of intimacy with my Heavenly Father that it's so easy for me to go back to self-sufficiency again? I honestly don't know, except that I am a go-getter, mass producer, implementer, type A crazy person who seems to always have to learn the hard way.

I find myself in the pig sty with the prodigal son wondering how I got there AGAIN! Why was I okay with going off on my own to try to figure the world out for myself?  When will I ever "get it"?

By God's grace, I find that I am "getting it" a little more each and every day.  I hear my Father calling me... and I run to Him. I sense the Spirit wooing me into a special time of worship and prayer, and I RSVP immediately.

It is a daily choice to develop deeper intimacy or to develop better "methods" of dealing with life.

Thankfully, I am finding more and more that I am choosing intimacy over the insanity of trying the same methods and hoping for different and better results.

What about you?  Do you find yourself in the boat of self-sufficiency, paddling frantically to stay on course?  If so, put the paddles down and raise the sail and let the Holy Spirit lead the boat to where He wants your destination to be. You will arrive to your destination energized instead of exhausted... rested instead of rushed... hopeful instead of harried...

Stop playing God and start praying to Him... all the time.

Blessings!

No comments: