Welcome to my blog!

My blog is personal. It's real. It's about me. It's about life's struggles. It's about amazing grace. Relentless hope. Second Chances. True Recovery. It's my journey. Thanks for joining me!

6.18.2013

The "Fixer" Mentality and Why You Can Let Go

Sometimes I have to remind myself that "There is a God, and I am not Him." "There is a God, and I am not Him." "There is a God, and I am not Him." You get the idea.

Being the wife of a recovering addict is not an easy job. I have had to surrender my husband's recovery more times than I can count. I have had to pull my hands of control off his recovery program more than I want to admit. 

Honestly, I wish I could fix him. I wish I could just make it so he never had another struggle, another temptation, another slip. I wish I could rescue him and make everything better for him.  But I can't. 

I wish I could make sure that I would never be hurt again by his addiction. I wish there was a quick fix. A medication. A mantra. A yoga pose that would do the job in minutes. But there's not.

There is grace though. For him. For me. There is also Truth. Truth that will set us both free. And there is time. One day at a time. One moment at a time. Grace and truth over time. Sounds like a formula for recovery. And it is. 

I can't fix my husband. I can't fix me. But God can. And His grace is enough to sustain me while I apply His truth to my life every single moment of every day. 

So today, I again remind myself that "There is a God. A good God. A gracious God. A God full of truth. And I am not Him." And in this moment I am just fine with that. And I will remind myself of it again in the next. And the next. And the next.

Blessings!


No comments: